Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Green speeds

The greens were extremely slow today. We topdressed yesterday and they looked like they still had a bunch of sand on them yesterday, even after watering in the sand. For that reason I made the decision not to mow greens today.

After looking at them this morning.....I made the wrong decision. They grew a lot last evening - more than I thought they would. I guess that cool weather and the foliar fertilizers that we sprayed kicked them a little harder than I thought they would. I really wish I would have mown greens today but what's done is done. We will mow tomorrow and slowly start taking advantage of these cool nights. Over the next few weeks we will start to increase the speeds. It was very important to be overly careful with the greens the last couple weeks of July. They are so new and susceptible to wear and traffic, I just wanted to make sure we got through this summer without any significant damage.

Brent Graham, CGCS
Director of Golf Maintenance
Two Rivers Country Club
1950 Two Rivers Rd.
Williamsburg, VA 23185
Cell: 757-592-0840
Office: 757-258-4606
Bgraham@tworiversclub.com
Governorsland.com

No comments:

Post a Comment